What Material is Best for an Electric Kettle?
There are a number of issues to consider when purchasing an electric water boiler, stovetop kettle, or electric kettle. Price, capacity, features, design, etc…One important consideration is the type of material used. Here are a few pros and cons of each material to keep in mind.
There are many issues to consider when purchasing an electric water boiler, stovetop kettle, or electric kettle. Price, capacity, features, design, etc…One important consideration is the type of material used.
Some people swear by stainless steel, while others like the elegance of glass or ceramic.
All have their advantages and disadvantages, but keep in mind that none of them should be toxic to your health as they are no longer made with BPA-particle plastic as stated by the manufacturers. Still, some people will never touch a plastic kettle.
Regardless of your preference, here are a few pros and cons of each material to keep in mind.
This is probably the most common option you’ll see and the preferred choice for many consumers.
- Sturdy and high durability.
- Cleans easily
- Not corroded easily
- Fire and heat resistant
- Leaves no flavors or smells
- Can affect people who are allergic to nickel
- May potentially burn a user if not well insulated with a protected handle.
A kettle made with this material may be your first purchase option unless you are allergic to nickel and for good reason.
If a stainless steel kettle or water boiler falls on the floor, it will not break. Their designs are almost always elegant and look good anywhere you place them. Also, keep in mind their disadvantages: you could burn yourself if not careful.
After stainless steel, the most common material of water kettles is glass.
- You have full visibility of the water on the inside.
- Easy to clean
- Semi Lightweight
- Leaves no smells or mysterious odors
- Fragile and can be easily broken.
- Can produce severe burns if touched by walls after boiling water
As you can see, glass has fewer disadvantages than stainless steel, however, it’s characterized by its fragility and one must be careful when working with glass tea or electric kettles. That said, as long as you’re not clumsy with the kettle and treat it with the same care as you would any other appliance in your kitchen, then you should be fine. Moreover, there are some great-looking glass kettles.
Previously, it was a material that wasn’t used much due to unfavorable criticisms for its potential health hazards.
Nowadays, after several years of technological breakthroughs, plastic water kettles have returned to the market. These models are not toxic or detrimental to health.
- It does not produce severe burns if it is touched by the walls after boiling.
- You can see the water from the outside in almost every model
- Durability Concerns
- Difficult to clean
- Can potentially leave smells or odors
- Manufacturers claim they are BPA-free but many people still don’t feel safe using plastic kettles, teapots, and boilers.
- Classic and traditional look and feel.
- There are some beautiful designs, such as the Bella 14522
- Can’t see the water levels on many models.
- Produces severe burns if touched by walls after boiling water
- Ceramics have the same fragility as glass.
In general, the choice of a kettle made from one material vs another will depend on your tastes and style, needs, and style preferences.
For example, if you live in a house with young children, it’s probably not a good idea to buy a glass or ceramic kettle.
In the end, the choice is up to you and while stainless steel and glass seem to be the favorite amongst many consumers, there is a variety of excellent kettles made with each type of material.
Brio Moderna Water Dispenser
Brio Moderna Water Dispenser is a stainless steel water cooler.
Pohl Schmitt Electric Kettle
Venoly Whistling Tea Kettle
SUSTEAS Whistling Tea Kettle
R.W.FLAME Water Dispenser
This R.W.FLAME Water Cooler Dispenser has a built-in ice maker.
Secura Milk Frother
Lxuemlu TDS Meter
Owala FreeSip Water Bottle
Owala FreeSip Clear Water Bottle has a capacity of 25 oz and has a wide-mouth opening.